Monday, October 21, 2013

Flying Objects!

I finally saw something in the sky with my own eyes that was neither a bird nor a plane.  But exactly what it was I cannot easily tell you.   It was a dark and cloudy evening and we were in the middle of babysitting my daughter's good friend of all things!  In a small patch of open sky our attention was captured by two lights moving rapidly.

At first it appeared to be spotlights, like the kind you see advertising or highlighting a building or store.  But after further inspection, it was obvious that the light source was not coming from below but from above.  Because of the clouds it was impossible to see beyond the lights that were moving.   They were like round balls of light with short "comet" tails and were moving rapidly in a random somewhat circular pattern.  In some ways they appeared to be chasing each other!  The feeling of this was very playful and otherworldly.

It was as though someone was far far up in the heavens  playing with two flashlights they were shining down below.  The movements of these lights was so light and graceful that they could in no way be mechanical or machine in our sense of the word.  I have to say watching this was quite a show.  My eyes were glued until I was interrupted.  While four of us were looking at the sky, a neighbor walked by and seemed to have zero interest in what we were looking at. He neither asked nor looked up.  Overall I was left with a sense of wonder and curiosity as to what will come next.




1 comment: